Below, qualified people (typically a department chair or PhD programme manager) can submit their nominations for the Birnstiel Award. Only one nomination may be submitted per department or programme.
Nomination form and deadline
Please submit nominations via the button below by 30 June 2020.
Profile and eligibility
The International Birnstiel Award targets doctoral students at an advanced stage of their PhD research, ideally with outstanding publications. Nominations of recently graduated students will also be accepted, provided that they graduated after 30 June 2019 (submission deadline of the previous year). The awardees will present their thesis work at an award ceremony on 4 November 2020.
Students who completed their PhD research at Austrian institutions are exempted from the Birnstiel Awards, as they are eligible for other awards in Austria. Students with direct links to the IMP (e.g. alumni or students of research collaborators) are also excempted.
A nomination will comprise the nominee’s CV, a description of the PhD research project, and one recommendation letter by the student’s supervisor (see below for details).
Nominations must be submitted online by the department or programme chair. The nomination materials are as follows:
- Nominator’s name, postal address, email, and telephone number
- Supervisor’s name, postal address, email, and telephone number
- Student’s name, thesis title/research topic, postal address, email, and telephone number
- Student’s graduation date, if applicable
From the student’s supervisor:
- Letter of recommendation (up to 600 words)
From the student:
- Student Curriculum Vitae (via form)
- Summary of thesis research project (up to 1000 words)
- PDF of most important publications (preprints explicitly allowed!)
All nominators are notified as to the selection committee’s decision by 30 September of the relevant year.
Questions regarding the International Birnstiel Award should be addressed to Benedikt Mandl, IMP Head of Communications, via email: benedikt.mandl[at]imp.ac.at.