Only one nomination may be submitted per department or programme. The nomination must be submitted via this website by an authorised person (typically a department chair or PhD programme manager).
Profile and eligibility
International Birnstiel Award targets doctoral students at an advanced stage of their PhD research, ideally with outstanding publications. Nominations of recently graduated students will also be accepted, provided that they graduated within the year prior to the award ceremony (i.e. graduations from 1 January 2018). The awardees will present their thesis work at the 25th Vienna BioCenter PhD Symposium in November 2019.
A nomination will comprise the nominee’s CV, a description of the PhD research project, and one recommendation letter by the student’s supervisor (see below for details).
Nomination form and deadline
Please submit nominations via the button below by 30 June 2019.
Nominations must be submitted online by the department or programme chair. The nomination materials are as follows:
- Nominator’s name, postal address, email, and telephone number
- Supervisor’s name, postal address, email, and telephone number
- Student’s name, postal address, email, and telephone number
- Student’s graduation date, if applicable
From the student’s supervisor:
- Letter of recommendation (up to 600 words)
From the student:
- Student Curriculum Vitae (via form)
- Summary of thesis research project (up to 1000 words)
All nominees will be notified as to the selection committee’s decision by 30 September 2019.
Questions regarding the International Birnstiel Award should be addressed to Benedikt Mandl, IMP Head of Communications, via email: benedikt.mandl[at]imp.ac.at.