IMP ranks third in ERC grant application success rates
The selection of projects to be funded by the European Research Council (ERC) is highly competitive. Data recently provided by the ERC ranks 195 host institutions according to success rate for 2014 to 2017. The IMP comes third, with a success rate of a staggering 60 percent.
Since its establishment in 2007, the European Research Council’s (ERC) funding decisions have become a ‘gold standard’ of scientific excellence within participating countries. Although the grants support the work of individual scientists rather than institutions, universities and research institutes proudly celebrate their successes in this highly competitive endeavour to gain funding. Thereby, the ERC has become much more than a funding body – its support is one of the most important indicators for research excellence in Europe.
The ERC has recently provided data on the success rates of 195 institutions that applied for ERC funding in calls between 2014 and 2017. The data includes host institutions that succeeded in winning at least five grants during this period. Remarkably, the IMP ranks third in this statistic, with a success rate of a staggering 60 percent. Only the Friedrich Miescher Institute for Biomedical Research in Basel (75%), and the Institute of Experimental Medicine in Budapest (70%) rank more highly.
As of January 2019, 11 out of 15 IMP faculty members are ERC grantees, with several of them having won more than one grant.
Top-10 out of 195: ERC Application Success Rates, 2014-2017
- Friedrich Miescher Institute for Biomedical Research, Basel - 75%
- Institute of Experimental Medicine (HAS), Budapest - 70%
- Research Institute of Molecular Pathology (IMP), Vienna - 60%
- London Business School, London - 55%
- John Innes Centre, Norwich - 50%
- Institute of Science and Technology Austria, Klosterneuburg - 49%
- French College, France - 46%
- European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL), Heidelberg - 44%
- Institute of Photonics Sciences (ICFO), Barcelona - 38%
- Weizmann Institute, Rehovot - 38%
A full list of the success rate ranking with all 195 host institutions is provided for download below.
ERC grants are allocated through different categories, including the main grants Starting Grants, Consolidators Grants and Advanced Grants. They support research in a broad range of fields, grouped into three domains - Life Sciences (LS), Physical Sciences and Engineering (PE), and Social Sciences and Humanities (SH).
- ERC application success rate ranking (PDF, 44KB)