The Vienna BioCenter Scientific Training Unit invites applications for the position of PhD Program Operations Manager. This position will be part of a team responsible for the smooth running of the newly established Vienna BioCenter PhD Program, a doctoral school of the University of Vienna and the Medical University of Vienna. The position of PhD Program Operation Manager will be integral to create a diverse, inter-disciplinary environment, with an innovative and flexible curriculum.
This is a unique opportunity to join a vibrant campus, be part of a community and empower the careers of young researchers.
The Vienna BioCenter PhD Program Operations Manager will be responsible for coordinating and supporting a diverse array of recruiting, education, and outreach activities within one of the leading life-science programs in Europe.
The responsibilities of this position include:
- Developing and implementing an innovative educational curriculum including career development guidance for young researchers (in coordination with the head of scientific training, the leadership of the school, and the faculty on the VBC campus).
- Establishing a comprehensive, innovative, and internationally visible alumni program, including a remote mentoring program involving the alumni and the current PhD students.
- Initiating and supporting student activities such as events, retreats, and symposia.
- Supporting efforts to increase the visibility of the program through advertisement and outreach locally and internationally.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills to effectively collaborate with training team members, faculty, and students.
- Capable of taking initiative, assuming responsibility and handling confidential information with discretion.
- Innovative, flexible and willing to learn.
- Strong organizational and time management skills with emphasis on accuracy and attention to detail.
- Master or PhD degree in the Life Sciences, or related field.
- Experience in program coordination or project management.
- Proficiency in English
- Thriving, international campus with English as the working language.
- Competitive salary with full benefits.
- Vienna offers a lively multicultural environment with high living standards, repeatedly ranking No. 1 city worldwide for the quality of living (Mercer, Economist rankings).
- Child care facilities are available on campus.
- For further information, see the website: www.viennabiocenter.org
The responsibilities listed will be flexibly adapted according to the changing needs of the doctoral school.
To apply please send a CV, motivation letter, and the contact details of 2 referees to
Dr. Eva Schmid (eva.schmid[at]vbc.ac.at).
The position will be open until filled, the review of applications will begin in mid-January 2021.
Vienna Biocenter PhD Program, a Doctoral school of the University of Vienna and Medical University of Vienna. In collaboration with the Gregor Mendel Institute (GMI) and Institute of Molecular Biotechnology (IMBA) of the Austrian Academy of Science, Research Institute of Molecular Pathology (IMP) and the Max Perutz Labs.